Featured Red Wine for April – 2020 Orben Rioja

Published on April 12, 2024

Rioja is Spain’s fine wine capital, a region characterised by rich tradition and innovation for over a century and a half.  Its high altitude, clay/limestone soils and continental climate provide perfect conditions for growing grapes for fine wine.  Traditionally red Rioja wine is fermented fast and then matured in old American oak barrels.  A variety of styles are produced and the quality hierarchy is based on the amount of oak ageing.

The featured Winecroft red wine for April is the 2020 Orben Rioja.  Orben is an exciting estate in Rioja Alavesa, which aims to produce a single-estate Rioja to rival the best.  The Antón family owns 75% of the property, with the remaining 25% split between 50 of Spain’s top restaurateurs. It is a new-wave Rioja producer with a deep focus on the vineyard (74 parcels of bush vines, each with its own particular microclimate). The winemaking team, led by Ruth Rodriguez, ensures that the Orben Rioja is distinctively modern in style, with fruit leading the way.

Deep garnet in colour with aromas of black cherry, blackberry, leather and pencil lead. Medium bodied and juicy with a smoky finish.  It is a wine of great structure, poise, balance and length.

It is featured on the winelists of a number of Michelin starred restaurants in Spain and is on the winelist at Cambio de Tercio, the award-winning Spanish restaurant in Chelsea, London.

 

Enjoyed this article? Why not share with your friends